We are currently looking for a Linux Engineer Contractor to join our Broadcast & Media team in York with a range of Internet-facing hosting and video delivery experience, to work for a high-profile client.
What this role involves:
- Support and management of a complex web and video delivery infrastructure, and its supporting tools.
- Delivery of projects and service improvements across a variety of technologies.
- 2nd- and 3rd-line user support for a wide range of issues.
- Application releases and infrastructure support for development teams.
- Diagnosis and fix of a range of operational issues.
What we'll need you to bring - required:
- Practical experience in Linux systems administration (ideally including Ubuntu).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and ability to interact professionally with colleagues, customers and suppliers at all levels of seniority and technical ability.
- Good time management and prioritisation skills, able to self-manage a varying and busy workload.
- Flexible in approach to work and a team player, where everyone pitches in to get the job done and works to improve the service to the client.
- Ability and enthusiasm to learn new skills and technologies.
What would be desirable (the more the better!):
- Good working knowledge of AWS.
- Knowledge of the concepts of DevOps, and experience with infrastructure-as-code (e.g. Puppet, Terraform, Ansible).
- Experience of working with project delivery teams and an understanding of project methodologies and terms (e.g. Agile, Kanban).
- Experience of working with CI/CD tools (e.g. Jenkins, Bamboo).
- Understanding of load balancers, caching and the function of a CDN.
- Able to code reliable and well-documented scripts in Python, Bash and/or Perl.
- Git/Subversion – repository management and knowledge of good working practices.
- A knowledge of ITIL.
- Some SQL and basic database administration (MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL).
- An understanding of containerization (e.g. Docker) and container clustering.
- Ability to find, design and implement improvements to working practices and opportunities to automate away the common and mundane.
What we'll give you in return:
- A broad remit and the chance to get your hands on some incredible tech
- The chance to work closely with some amazingly talented people
- Respect for your ideas and acknowledgement for a job well-done
- A flexible approach to your job and a great work/life balance
- A friendly, welcoming culture and a great social calendar
- A competitive daily rate
Located in the Science Park, within the main Campus of York University (YO10), Piksel’s European head office is home to some of the most innovative video streaming technologies on the Planet. Our teams build and run next generation TV platforms like Channel 4’s All 4 and Virgin Media’s Horizon Go - helping them to get better connected with their audiences; engaging with them in exciting, unexpected ways.
We work collaboratively across the globe, from York, London, Atlanta, Malaga, Paris and Milan. We’re a powerhouse in the video streaming technology sector and the kind of company where you can really broaden your horizons.
In a time where consumers can stream content from anywhere, at any time, on any device - we create and power the platforms that the World is watching.
Just so you know, we're proud to be an equal opportunities employer and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.